Poolbeg Generating Station – Dublin

Poolbeg is situated adjacent to the now-decommissioned Pigeon House generating station, where electricity was first generated in 1903. The Pigeon House was previously a military barracks and the officers accommodation building still exists. It was used for power generation until it was decommissioned in 1976, and the Poolbeg plant is still known locally as the Pigeon House.

The modern Poolbeg station was constructed in two separate phases, beginning in the 1960s. The ESB decided to construct the station in 1965 and the initial development was completed in 1971 with the construction of Units 1 and 2 at a cost of 20 million Irish pounds. The original Pigeon House generators remained on standby duty until 1976. Unit 3 was completed in 1978 at a cost of 40 million pounds.

The combined cycle station was constructed in the 1990s. CG14 was commissioned in 1994, CG15 in 1998 and ST16 in 2001.

3 exposure HDR .8, 3 and 13 seconds @ f20 and ISO 200. Photomatix and Photoshop.

Nikon D90 / Sigma 10-20.

Advertisements

Poolbeg Lighthouse

Poolbeg Lighthouse in Dublin Bay was built in 1768 and initially operated on candlepower (reputedly the first in the world to do so) but changed to oil in 1786. It was re-designed and re-built into its present form in 1820. It is accessible from the Great South Wall.

3 exposure HDR  1/15, 1/4 and 1/60 @ f20 and ISO 200 tonemapped in Photomatix and adjustments in Photoshop.
Nikon D90 / Sigma 10-20

Emo Court

Emo Court was designed by the architect James Gandon in 1790 for the Earls of Portarlington and is a magnificent example of this neo-classical style. During the middle of this century it was owned by the Jesuits, it was then acquired and extensively restored by Mr. Cholmeley-Harrison in the 1960s. The house is surrounded by beautiful gardens and parkland which were first laid out in the 18th century and contain formal lawns, a lake and woodland walks with many very fine trees and shrubs. The house and gardens were taken into State ownership in 1994.

Single RAW HDR tonemapped in Photomatix and texture layer applied in Photoshop. 1/400 @ f18 and ISO 200
Nikon D90 / Sigma 10-20

Ha`penny Bridge – Dublin

This is the best known of Dublin‘s bridges. It was built in 1816 and was the first iron bridge in Ireland. It is a single span structure with cast iron railings and decorative lamps. It was originally named the Liffey Bridge but is now called the Ha’penny because until 1919 to cross it there was a half-penny charge.

3 bracketed exposure HDR @ f18 and ISO 200. Processed in Photomatix and Photoshop with full noise reduction in Imagenomic Noiseware Professional.
Nikon D90 / Sigma 10-20.

Temple Bar

Taken last night just off Temple Bar, Dublin. I had this kind of shot in mind and was hoping for rain to get some reflections in the cobble stones but was happy with the result anyway.
3 exposure HDR.  1/2, 2 and 10 seconds @ f18 and ISO 200. Tonemapped in Photomatix and adjustments in Photoshop. Full noise reduction with Imagenomic Noiseware Professional.